I just moved to Colorado. Help Me Find A Good Dentist!
Finding a good dentist is just as important as taking care of your teeth and gums. You can trust yourself to take care of your teeth. You know yourself better than anyone. What about your dentist? Where and how does he fit into the picture? Every time you go to the dentist, you are putting your mouth in his or her hands. When you cannot trust your dentist, then who can you trust?
You may have been able to trust the dentist you used to go to. Now you are in a new town, You are not really sure of which direction to go. Here are 5 considerations when picking a good Colorado clinic that is a right fit for you.
1) How many kids have you got? Are you expecting any right now? If you have children, you should pick someone who is kid-friendly and has the extra training needed to treat children’s teeth. You will find at least one experienced family dentist in every town in Colorado. It is one thing to relate to someone on an adult level, but takes a totally different approach to relate to someone on a child’s level. You want a dentist who can do both. You want someone who loves kids, and can take care of your family’s dental care needs at every stage of life.
2) What about your insurance? Your insurance may have been accepted with your previous dentist, but what about your new one? Will you be required to pay more out-of-pocket expenses? Will there be a constant tug of war between your new dentist and your insurance? This is not something you want. Call ahead and ask what type of insurance they accept and if they take care of filing the dental insurance claim for you. A good dental office should have expertise in dealing with various dental insurance and financing agencies and know how to get the most bang for your buck with each one of them. Keeping this in mind can help narrow down your choices that much further.
3) Will your new dentist talk to you about your treatment options? A good dentist will sit and discuss dental treatments that need to be done immediately and what treatments you may need in the future. Your dentist should explain each treatment option, including its benefits and drawbacks. You should feel comfortable with your new dentist enough to ask as many questions as needed to help you understand the treatment recommendations. Working together, you and your dentist can choose the treatment options that best meet your needs.
4) The dentist office should always look clean and professional. Does the office appear to be sanitized, neat, and orderly? A clean, uncluttered office can be an indication of how serious your dentist is about sterilization. If the office is cluttered, it’s harder to clean. Do all surfaces and equipment in the treatment room appear clean? A dentist must clean and disinfect all countertops and equipment between patients. While cross contamination is not common, it is still something you want to be aware of. Be sure your dentist adheres to the strict sanitation standards of the Colorado Dental Board.
5) There are many new advancements in dentistry that a dentist may choose to offer. Look for a dental care provider that uses up-to-date technology. A dentist that utilizes modern technology makes your dental care less invasive, more comfortable, durable,and natural-looking. It can also be more efficient. Procedures that formerly took multiple trips to the dentist or required multiple providers can often be performed in the comfort of one office by one qualified dental care provider.
Choosing a new dentist is an important decision, and who you choose to be your dentist will have an enormous impact on your health. Each dentist has their own approach to patient care. So take your time, do your research, and choose wisely!